Landfill appears to be the UK equivalent of a US old Indian burial ground (ref to Poltergeist & the Simpsons), when it comes to choosing a spot for a housing estate.
The BBC reported that two children, living in adjoining houses built on an indian burial ground/landfill site had died in 2005 of form of leukemia so rare that it only affects three babies a year in the UK.
Extensive investigation by the Health Protection Agency found no identifiable toxins to blame. I can see that “chance” can’t be ruled out, with a disease so rare.
Rupert Adams, head of environmental health and housing services with Vale Royal Borough Council, said: “I hope that the residents will now feel reassured their homes and gardens are safe.”
Hmm. I can’t imagine many people choosing to live there. Especially not parents of small children.
Their parents, who live back-to-back, claim the illness was caused by benzene, a toxin which has been found to be present on land in the area.
The estate was built on a former landfill site and the HPA said it was possible that is where the chemicals originated.
Cancer charity Cancerbackup said the causes of acute megakaryoblastic leukaemia are mostly unknown but high level exposure to radiation may increase risk, as can some toxic chemicals.